Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Sandwich big enough to feed a crowd. You can make this up to 24 hours ahead, and just unwrap, slice and enjoy. Perfect for picnics.
- 1 loaf Italian bread (unsliced)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar or 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb capicola, thinly sliced (ham)
- 1⁄2 lb cooked turkey, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 lb genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 lb provolone cheese, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced into rings
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; hollow out top and bottom using a small serrated knife or your fingers, leaving a 1/2" shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- Combine oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano and pepper; brush on cut sides of bread top and bottom.
- On the bottom half, layer half of the meats, cheeses, lettuce and green pepper.
- Repeat layers.
- Replace bread top.
- Serve immediately or wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate.
I made this for lunch for my work crew of 6 men and one woman. There were no leftovers. I substituted swiss cheese for the mozarella and used a poblano pepper. I had quite a bit of dressing left after smearing it on the bread so I dribbled it over both layers of lettuce. I also used less than the full 1/2 pound of capicola because it was sliced so thinly. I guess next time I will make two layer of it.
Left out the turkey, lettuce and mozzarella cheese. Added onions, black olives and crushed hot pickled peppers. We loved the oil/vinegar dressing and thought it was excellent. We LOVED this sub!
Let me tell you, this hit the spot! All of them! We have been craving a sub so decided to make these and we picked a winner here! Loved them! Only thing I did was add pepperoncini peppers and black olives to give it a little more flavor. Excellent!