Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Not only are you getting your veggies with this bread, it is super healthy because I use applesauce instead of oil and part Splenda instead of all sugar.
- 2 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 cups peeled and grated zucchini
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, ext
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 2 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- Microwave chocolate squares until melted, set a side.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, splenda, sugar, brown sugar, and applesauce. Mix well.
- Add grated zucchini, vanilla, and chocolate. Mix well.
- In another bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to liquid mixture. Mix well. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Pour in greased loaf pans. Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of loaf comes out clean.
Delicious!!!!! This recipe is wonderful! I freeze my shredded, seeded, peeled zucchini in 2 cup increments so I can make this recipe all year long. I thaw my zucchini in the microwave on defrost and dump the whole bag, water and all, into the mix. I also use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour. I add about 1/3 cup of flax seed as well. I do not buy chocolate squares, rather, I substitute 6 Tablespoons of cocoa melted with 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil. I do not use Splenda unless the loaf is for my diabetic dad. I generally use regular sugar in the same measurements for my own family. These loaves get eaten up the same day they are made!
Althuogh I appreciate the desire to make something healthy, unless you are strickly off sugar for diabetes or other diseases, Splenda is not healthy for you, definitely not 'super healthy' for you. Splenda is artifical and associated with (believe it or not) obesity among other health problems. Stevia, agave syrup or pure cane sugar are far better subs for straight-out refined white sugar.
This is a great and easy recipe....no one ever knows it is healthy!