Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a base recipe that is full of nutrient rich ingredients but yet is not overly sweet. The result is a chewy, almost cake-like granola bar though not at all similar to any that you would find in the supermarket. This recipe is pretty flexible so don't hesitate to modify to suit your tastes. For a vegan version, replace the honey with maple syrup. And, try some of the suggested additions. (Updated March 2008)
- 2 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or stoneground spelt flour)
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup oil (neutral flavor like sunflower)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses (optional)
- 1 cup sugar-free applesauce, thick
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toast oats for 5 minutes in a dry skillet over medium heat. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (including oats) and whisk together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients until well blended.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and blend gently until well moistened. Add any of the suggested additions now (see Step 8). Mixture should be moist but not too wet. If it seems too dry and crumbly, add a little more applesauce (by the spoonful).
- Line a 9in x 13in pan with parchment paper and press mixture into pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Cut into bars while warm, but let cool completely before removing from pan.
- Suggested additions (add up to 2 cups of any of the following): chocolate chips, raisins (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes then drained), unsweetened shredded coconut, sunflower seeds (unsalted), pumpkin seeds (unsalted), dried fruit (like chopped apricots, cranberries), chopped toasted nuts.
Love the versatility! They are kind of cake-like and dense. Used bananas instead of oil. Added dried mango, banana chips, and sun-flower seeds. Banana chips kind of blended in though, may line them ontop next time. But will be making again, thanks for sharing!
Did not really like these. I think the large amount of applesauce is why we did not like these, it did something to the texture and flavor.
Made to share at a weekly meeting we attend & cut them small so I could get 24 total! I included dried cranberries & some toasted almonds & these were a big hit ~ Gone in no time at all! Will be making these again, for sure! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC recipe tag]