Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Ok, I know it sounds REALLY weird to put a can of beans in a cheese sauce, but it's really thick and creamy. Most other cheese sauces are just loaded with saturated fat, but this one is really high in protein, fiber, and low in fat! It is so much more filling than regular cheese sauce so you can use less. Give it a shot, it sounded really weird to me, but I liked it!
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained (will yield 10 oz. of beans)
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese (or you could use regular fat cheese)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine rinsed and drained beans with the cheese, skim milk, and all the spices except salt.
- Put in a blender, and blend till completely smooth.
- Heat over stove until cheese sauce bubbles or reaches desired consistency, stirring frequently.
- Add as much salt as desired.
- This is really good with ravioli and pasta, but I suppose you could also put it on vegetables as well.
I tried this, and I really liked it! Like you said, it was very filling which really helps me trying to lose weight. I was reluctant to try it, but was pleasantly surprised. I was reading the previous review about how somebody gave it to their son. I agree that this may not be a kid pleaser (too foreign), it is more suiting for adults who are actually interested healthy eating. At least that person's dogs will eat healthier than her son who eats butter and pasta! Also, I used regular fat cheese on the advice of the previous reviewer who said said she needed fat, which was good, and I think I'll do the same next time. Thanks for the great recipe, I'll make it again!
Just had to try this after reading the review this a.m. I think it sounds wierd and tastes wierd! I gave it to my son on pasta and he wouldn't even eat it and he'll eat plain pasta with butter. I suppose I could mess with it long enough and come up with something edible. Give me fat!!!!
Im REALLy glad I tried this !! I will be using it again ! I really liked this recipe , it was great over some whole wheat pasta that I had for lunch . It was nice and thick and creamy with a cheese sauce texture (not at all weird!) . I think I want to try it next over a baked potato !! Yummy!!