Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a tasty little muffin I came up with last apple season! I modified an old recipe my Mom had to make it a bit more healthy, so I could really enjoy them without guilt!
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 -2 tablespoon cinnamon (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup nonfat milk (I use soy usually)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon nonfat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, grated
- 1⁄2 cup apple, coarsely chopped
- 9 dates, diced
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- To grate apples I use my food processor, but you can use a hand grater if you want. I also usually send the dates through with the apples in the processor.
- Then chop up your 1/2 cup of apples, nuts, and dates (if not thrown in processor with apples). The apples and nuts add to the texture and the dates make it a little sweeter.
- Combine all items from the Dry list. Then all from the Wet list.
- Slowly add Dry to wet and mix until combined well.
- Pour batter in sprayed muffin tin (or use papers if you like) and place in 350°F oven about 12-15 minutes. Remove and place on cooling rack.