Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is sorta like a coffe cake, would make a great breakfast treat!
- 1⁄3 cup oats (I used quick cooking)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger (use more for a spicier cake)
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 1 cup strong chai tea (I steeped 2 teabags until it cooled)
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350, spray 8 X 8 pan
- Combine dry ingredients in medium mixing bowl.
- Add chai, applesauce, vinegar, and extracts, mix well.
- Pour batter in pan.
- Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I really wanted this to come out better ~ all the ingredients sounded so good, and remind me of the "wacky cakes" that are still popular today. Mine came out pretty flat and very wet on the OUTSIDE ~ very strange. I will make it again and post that review as I'm not sure the fault wasn't mine. Flavor of this bread is very nice though, just not sure what went wrong with the baking. Made for Spring PAC 2010!