This is great for a quick family favorite. Serve with tomato soup and a salad, if desired. Source: Betty Crocker
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese
- 1 slice colby cheese or 1 slice monterey jack cheese
- 8 slices Italian bread or 8 slices sourdough bread or 8 slices white bread or 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup tomato, seeded and chopped
- 8 teaspoons butter or 8 teaspoons margarine, softened
- Place cheese slices on 4 slices bread. Top with onions, tomato and remaining bread.
- Spread 1 t of the butter over each top slice of bread.
- Place sandwiches, butter sides down, in skillet.
- Spread remaining butter over top slices of bread.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat about 5 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
- Turn and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cut sandwiches into wedges or sticks, using pizza cutter.
What a great sandwich recipe!!!! I luved the flavour of these sammies! Mmm, the flavour of the dark rye bread with the two cheeses and the tomatoes and onion (I used a shallot) was really delish. YUM! I sliced my tomatoes for ease of handling and found that worked pretty nicely. This toast has brought happy childhood memories for me as we used to have this for dinner some days. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this kepper with us, Lainey. Ill keep making it. Made and reviewed for PRMR May 2010.
This wad delicious. I have put tomatoes on grilled cheese before, but never green onions - it was a nice addition. The only change I made was to use grated mozzarella cheese instead of sliced. I put on the cheddar & jack cheeses, then the veggies, then a layer of grated mozza. Worked great. A great lunch that we will definitely make again.
Wow! These sandwiches are awesome! I was surprised at how you could really taste the different cheeses, I didn't think it would be so bold. The green onions are a teriffic addition as well. I also threw on a couple of pieces of bacon and all together it was one fantastic grilled cheese. Thanks for the winner Lainey!