Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very flexible, super nutritious, low calorie, filling soup. Vary according to what you have on hand.
- 2 -3 onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bunches kale (Use any mixture of greens you like-kale, beet greens, whatever you have- I used a mix of kale, bok c)
- 1 -2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 -4 cups fresh spinach
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1⁄4 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or stock, can use chicken)
- 2 cups water (optional, add to your taste)
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- Caramelize onions over medium low heat in a large stock pot or dutch oven with lid on, stirring occasionally. Cook until deep brown and cooked down, 30+ minutes.
- Add carrots, arborio rice and 2 C broth. Bring to a boil, stir, and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Wash greens, removing tough stems from kale and beet greens. Add to pot with remaining broth. Stir and cook over medium heat until greens are cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Add nutritional yeast, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Add additional water as needed depending on whether you want a thick stew or thinner brothier soup.
- Blend using immersion blender or in blender until soup is smooth and creamy.
- Top with a squeeze of lemon and/or a dollop of Greek yogurt.