Recipe by Laudee
Posted Per Board Request. Recipe from Fleischmann's Bake-it-Easy Yeast Book. This is a very tasty Pumpernickel recipe. Makes 3 nice round loaves. I've made it for years, and it turns out good every time. Enjoy! (Prep. time includes kneading, resting, and rising times)
- 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups rye flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup nabisco 100% all-bran cereal
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 packages fleischmann active dry yeast
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon blue bonnet margarine
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine white and rye flours.
- In a very large bowl, thoroughly mix 2 cups flour mixture, salt, cereal, cornmeal, and undissolved yeast.
- Combine water, molasses, chocolate, and margarine in a saucepan.
- Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120°F- 130°F).
- Margarine and chocolate do not need to melt.
- Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add potatoes and 1 cup flour mixture.
- Beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in caraway seed (if used) and enough additional flour mixture to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board; cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Then, knead until smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; let rise again 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto lightly floured board.
- Divide into 3 equal pieces.
- Shape into round balls.
- Place in 3 greased 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.
- Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F, about 50 minutes, or until done.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.