Recipe by Veggie_Girl
This recipe was inspired by the Super Energy Bars made by the coffee roastery down the street - they're my absolute favorite for a work-day pick me up! This is the 2nd version... it's a recipe in progress. The original used oatmeal instead of flour and no applesauce - it was tasty, but more like granola than bars. I'll keep adjusting and updating the recipe!
Top Review by SW. Moonshadow
I was looking for something to take to school and work. My teen-angers & I really like these, they really hit the mark! I switched sesame seeds for sliced almonds, used corn syrup as I didn't have honey, and added sliced dried apricots instead of raisins (this time). These will become a staple in my house! Thank you :)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups natural-style peanut butter
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup agave nectar (or substitute with 1/2 cup honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add peanut butter, honey, and vanilla - mix well. (I used my mixer - it's pretty dense).
- Grease a 13x9 baking pan - spread mixture into pan (should be about an inch thick).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool and cut into squares. I'm going to refrigerate them (in the hopes they will hold together a little better).
- Enjoy -- yummy & healthy!