Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by rosslare
These really are super delicious, even though I made them into wraps rather than subs and got double of the amount. I did not have fire roasted tomatoes either, but added zing to ordinary tomatoes with harissa. Wow! This would be so good on so many things, like pizza, pasta...
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, cracked from skins
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium eggplants
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) canchopped fire-roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 submarine buns
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 lb smoked mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°; heat a small skillet with olive oil and cracked garlic over medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, trim ends off eggplants and remove a sliver off one side, so eggplant sits flat while you slice it.
- Cut eggplant into ½-inch thick slices.
- Place eggplant slices on cookie sheets; when the garlic sizzles in the oil, use a pastry brush to brush both sides of sliced eggplant with garlic oil.
- Season eggplant with salt and pepper; roast in oven for 15 minutes until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, place 2 tablespoons of the remaining garlic oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; to the hot oil add chopped garlic and red onions.
- Stir/saute garlic/onions for 2-3 minutes, then add in the tomatoes and tomato sauce; season with salt and pepper.
- Decrease heat and let sauce thicken.
- Remove eggplant from oven; place open sub rolls on a broiler pan; preheat broiler.
- Pile layers of eggplant, roasted tomato sauce, and basil into sub rolls, equally dividing ingredients among the rolls.
- Top subs with Parmigiano and smoked mozzarella.
- Place under the broiler to melt cheese; serve hot.