Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A really easy and affordable quick meal that leaves lots of room for individual creativity. This is a big hit with my singer friends when they are sick. Its like a spicy chicken soup. You can also leave out the cheese and chips if you are trying for something light...
- 2 (19 ounce) cans chicken and wild rice soup (I prefer Progresso)
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces tortilla chips, crushed
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender or food processor.
- Pour soup and tomatoes into a stockpot and warm over medium heat.
- To serve, top with chips and cheese.
- I make this with a number of possible variations-- some good additions are: shredded cooked chicken thighs or breasts, sour cream, black beans, black olives, a can of mexi-corn, sliced avocados, other varieties of cheese, chopped green onions.
I made a big crockpot batch of this for a presentation I am giving over fast and easy meals. I used 4 cans of progresso and 2 can of rotel (one mild and one original) Its still packs some heat and has good flavor. So easy and quick, I love it!
Rotel is the brand for diced tomatoes with green chilies in it. It's made by ConAgra Foods, Dallas, Texas. I also added 8oz of Tomato sauce to the soup. I wound up making a 2nd batch and doubling the recipe as there wasn't enough for me after my hubby started eating it. Geat recipe!!
This is a great soup. I would prefer this over the traditional chicken soup any day. I couldn't find a can of diced tomatoes with mild green chilis so I used a can of peeled tomatoes and added half a cup of jalapenos instead. Thes result was a pleasantly spicy soup that would be great on a cold fall/winter day. I made mine using all generic ingredients and it was still delicious so this shoot straight to the top of my inexpensive meals favorites.