Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A nice twist on a classic. These pretty pink marshmallows are wonderful in hot chocolate.
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 (15 ml) envelopes gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry puree
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- Line a 20-cm (8-inch) square dish with plastic wrap and oil lightly.
- In a large bowl, sift the sugar and cornstarch together. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin on the strawberry purée. Let soften for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Set a bowl in a saucepan partially filled with ice water; the water should come part way up the side of the bowl.
- Pour the strawberry mixture and corn syrup into the bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until the mixture has cooled to room temperature and forms stiff peaks, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Spread evenly in the dish and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 3 hours.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with the icing sugar mixture.
- Unmould the marshmallow.
- Using a knife with a lightly moistened blade, cut the marshmallow into 4-cm (1 1/2-inch) squares. Roll each square in the icing sugar mixture in the bowl. Shake off any excess. Place the marshmallows on the cookie sheet and let warm to room temperature. If necessary, roll a second time in the icing sugar mixture.
- The marshmallows can be stored for several days at room temperature.