Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The method seems really weird - but it works! It's like a dumpling method. You end up with cake on top and syrupy sauce on the bottom. Just follow the instructions - you won't be disappointed!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F Set aside an oven-proof dish that's at least 3 x 6 x 9 inches (2 litre capacity). Grease it, unless it's non-stick.
- Sift the first 5 ingredients into a bowl (this prevents lumps) then stir in the 1/2 cup of sugar. Make a well in the centre.
- Combine the next 3 ingredients and pour into the well. Stir to combine everything, but don't overmix. It will seem dry, but that's ok. Put this mix into the prepared dish.
- Dissolve the remaining cocoa and sugar in the boiling water. Ladle gently and careful on top of the cake mixture.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
This turned out really awful for me. I used an 8x8 pan, as I didn't have a 3x9x6. The cake was tough and bland, the "sauce" was soupy and kind of icky... :( I was excited to find a simple, low fat dessert. I won't be making this again.