Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A simple and delicous way to serve sausage and peppers with a tomato sauce base. This is one of my husband and kids favorite meals. They like it served over rice because it makes alot of "gravy" that soaks into the rice. It's one of my favorites because it's quick, easy and has only a few ingredients that I usually have on hand.
- 7 -9 sweet Italian sausage links, casings removed and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 3 medium green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Bake cut up sausages for about 20 minute While sausage is cooking put onion and oil in large skillet saute onion till translucent.When sausage is done add to skillet with the onions and add the tomato sauce. Cook for 20 minutes then add the peppers and cook 20 minutes more.Serve over rice.
Enjoyed this perfect meal with the *gravy* as a late Saturday supper. I hadn't ever thought about sausage & peppers with the "sausage" casings removed, and let me tell you, extremely terrific with lots of great tastes going one. I used a red bell pepper (only one I had) and the gravy was just delicious served atop rice. Next time I might add some snow peas, (just cause that sounds good too) but certainly this recipe can stand alone and is just extraordinary. Will use this often, thank you Michele! Made for *PAC* Spring 2009.
Simple. Easy. Used Italian Turkey Sausage (skinned and crumbled) and saved some refined carbs by serving over steamed veggies instead of pasta or rice :) Thanks.