Recipe by Brenda.
I found this recipe in an old Quick Cooking Magazine, and it is the only sausage gravy recipe I have used since. This recipe cooks up quickly on those mornings you just don't have time to make a big fuss over breakfast. The only thing I added was a dash of hot sauce. Thanks to D. Markel who had submitted this recipe.
Top Review by bmcnichol
I made this for my family for breakfast this morning. My son and hubby ate it all and I didn't even get to try it. I followed the recipe as written. They enjoyed it but thought it needed more salt and pepper. This was my first time making sausage gravy and really was easy.
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce
- biscuit (optional)
- fried potato (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausage until no longer pink. Do Not Drain.
- Stir in butter until melted.
- Sprinkle with flour.
- Gradually add milk. Mix well.
- Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
- Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Serve over your favorite homemade or refrigerated biscuits.
- I sometimes serve the sausage gravy over leftover potatoes from the previous night's dinner that I have fried up.
- Recipe says serves 4, I find we rarely get more than 2 servings, so I often will double this.