Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I saw Martha make this on the Today show and it looks super easy to make, and healthy too - if you opt for light sour cream. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (from a 1/4-ounce envelope)
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-fat sour cream or 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- coarse salt
- fresh dill (optional) or capers, for garnish (optional)
- crackers, for serving or baguette, slices for serving
- Place 3 tablespoons cold water in a small saucepan, and sprinkle with gelatin; let soften, 5 minutes. Gently heat over low, stirring, just until gelatin dissolves; set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine salmon, sour cream, and lemon juice. Puree until smooth; season with salt. With motor running, add slightly cooled gelatin mixture, and blend until combined.
- Pour into two 8-ounce ramekins or bowls. Without touching surface, cover container with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm but spreadable, about 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Garnish mousse with dill or capers, if desired, and serve with crackers or baguette slices.
Just as the title says it, super easy and super tasty, too! I only used 1 c sour cream and 1 tbs lemon juice and added some dried dill, also. Good consistency.
This was very easy to make, I agree with the other reviewers, a little bit too much lemon juice. This makes a lot of spread, but I think they would be great with bagels. Still a great recipe. Thank you.
Made this the day ahead for "pre-dinner" nibbles. Only had a salmon steak in the freezer and bought cream cheese instead of sour cream and I wasn't fighting my way thru the supermarket again !!! The small amount of gelatine is just sufficient to 'hold' the mousse together, I cut the lemon juice down to 1 tablespoon and added a 'smidgeon' of horseraddish to give it some 'oooomph'. It was delicious, had a lovely light texture and none of the flavours overpowered, I sprinkled the top with fresh chopped dill just before serving with melba toast and crackers. Thankyou for sharing this super simple, practical and tasty recipe.