Recipe by camfan54
This is a recipe my Aunt Barbara makes. It is super easy and good. It keeps for a while, reheats well and is perfect for those office luncheons! Everyone at work loves it!! I cook it the night before and then put it in a crock-pot for the luncheon. You can also top it with baked potato goodies like bacon pieces, cheese and chives. This is easily doubled. When I double it though, I usually still use just one can of evaporated milk.
- 1 (32 ounce) bag southern style hash browns (these are the small cubes)
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped (to taste)
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk (can use fat free)
- 1⁄2 cup Parkay margarine
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put frozen potatoes in soup pot.
- Fill with water just to the top of the potatoes.
- Add milk, margarine, evaporated, milk and some salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium/medium-high heat until boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to boil about 15 minutes, stirring regularly so it doesn't stick.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until potatoes are soft and ingredients are well blended (about 30-40 minutes), stir occasionally.
- If it is not the desired consistency, a thick creamy soup, you can mix a little flour and water in a cup and slowly stir it in to the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.