Recipe by girlwiththepapersmile
My usual naan recipe calls for milk and an egg, but since I had neither in the house tonight, I improvised. This is a super simple 5-ingredient naan bread and it came out great!
Top Review by gourmet_girl
This is a great easy recipe, thanks! I added fresh garlic and curry powder to give it a bit more flavor. Frying with nonstick cooking spray made this fat free which is great. Only complaint is that I had to use a lot more flour than stated to get the dough to a workable consistency. Didn't measure the extra but I would estimate it took another cup. Thanks again though, lovely to be able to make this at home. :-)
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour, plus a few tbsp for workspace
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast in a bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Add salt and flour. Mix thoroughly. Knead dough on a floured workspace about 20 times and form into a tight ball. Put dough in a well oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel.
- Put in a warm place to rise for 30-45 minutes. Dough won't rise much, but it doesn't need to.
- Turn dough out onto a floured workspace. Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll out with a rolling pin to about 1/8" thick.
- Grill naan pieces on a grill or electric griddle. In a pinch, a frying pan sprayed with some nonstick cooking spray will work. Grill for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- This recipe yields a very soft, chewey naan. Just the way I like it!