Recipe by CarenRox
I did my best to duplicate Tabatchnick Barley Mushroom Soup, and I'm very satisfied with my results!
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 14 1⁄2 ounces mirepoix (diced celery, carrots and onion)
- 10 ounces sliced mushrooms (Cremini)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 (9 5/8 g) packets condensed vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup barley (dried)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large saucepan and spray evenly with cooking spray.
- Add mirepoix, reduce heat to medium, and saute until onion is translucent.
- Add sliced mushrooms and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are softened.
- Combine vegetable broth concentrate packets with 4 cups water and add to pan.
- Rinse barley and add to pan.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer, covered, until barley is softened, approximately 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.