Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Tastes like the real thing without all the work. Took the idea from recipe & comments from Lazy Stuffed Cabbage Casserole and made some changes and came up with this dish. It was a surprisingly good and a super easy one dish meal.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 2 cups instant rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage (rough chopped)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Campbell's condensed tomato soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can water
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes, do not drain
- salt, to taste
- garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 13 x 9 pan with Pam.
- Mix Tomato soup, 1/2 soup can of water and diced tomatoes together in a bowl until blended.
- Place a layer of chopped cabbage on bottom of pan (about 1/2).
- Put 1/2 of chopped onions over cabbage.
- Crumble 1/2 of raw Ground Sirloin over onions and cabbage.
- Season with Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of Uncooked rice over this layer.
- Pour 1/2 of Tomato mixture over this layer.
- Repeat layers, ending with Rice and tomato mixture on top.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour covered, uncover and bake until liquid is reduced to your personal taste.
- We like ours with some juice.
- Served with fresh baked bread and butter, great comfort food on a cold (for Florida) night.
Doing WW so I made a few substitutions, barley for rice (precooked), ground turkey for ground beef and added red pepper flakes for some zip. Got it down to 4 points per serving! My husband liked it and he doesn't like cooked cabbage. I loved it! You just made it so easy. Thanks
Very good basics...needed more spice for my taste. Next time I will use real garlic, more salt & pepper and a teaspoon of sugar in the tomato mixture. Also...cabbage seems to get tougher later in the fall...Id try it again in the summer to see if the cabbage would be more tender. Thanks for the recipe!
After the one hour there was no liquid left. And I used a whole 28 ounces can of diced tomatoes. I didn't have tomato juice in my pantry so couldn't add that. I'm sure it would have help a lot. I liked that the meat was cooked in the oven. I'll have to try it again with more liquid cause the rice was a bit crispy. It's a bit dry. Thanks Cajunhippiegirl :) Made for TYM tag game