Chef JTwombly's Note:
This is something I've worked on for a few years, and finally mastered this past week! It may look complicated but once you've done it a few times, it takes no time at all!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 raw chicken carcasses or 1 raw turkey carcass, with as much skin removed as possible
- 30 cups water (or enough water to cover the body)
- 1/4 cup salt (I use coarse salt, but whatever is on hand is good)
- 2 -3 cups carcass meat (or whatever comes off the bones, eliminating all mini bones)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup alphabet pasta
- 1 1/2 cups rice (not instant!)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups peas
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (or variety of your choice)
- salt (I once again used the coarse salt, this is up to you)
- 1Boil carcass in pot large enough to hold it and with enough water to cover it. Season with the 1/4 cup salt prior to boiling. Let boil for up to 3 hours, checking water levels occasionally.
- 2Use slotted spoon to remove all pieces of carcass (careful, it will have separated into smaller pieces).
- 3Strain into another container with cheesecloth to catch all the meat floating in the water, as well as the residual fat from the body.
- 4Allow the bones to cool to touch to remove the remaining meat for the soup.
- 5Place the broth back into the now cleaned pot (washing in between is key here) with the meat from the carcass. Stir occasionally.
- 6Put back onto the stove to boil. Add the cut thigh meat after the water boils. Stir occasionally.
- 7Add the rice and pasta, let come to a boil again. Stir occasionally (see a pattern here? :D).
- 8Once the rice and pasta begin to swell, add veggies (you know what to do here :D).
- 9Season to taste with salt.
- 10Serve to those you love (especially yourself!).
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Easy Homemade Soup
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 22
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.7
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 10.4 mg
- Sodium 1330.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: