This makes a delicious and super-quick meal that can be made in less than 10 minutes! I just purchase the single vacuum-packed sliced ham steaks for this. This recipe can easily be doubled --- please make certain to use a good-quality mustard powder as it will make a different to the recipe.
- 2 ham steaks (about 1/2-inch thick)
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot (can use minced yellow onions in place of shallots)
- 4 teaspoons mustard powder (can use a little more)
- 1⁄2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce (can use a couple tablespoons more of cranberry sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- Sprinkle the ham steaks with black pepper.
- Melt about 2 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add in ham and saute until brown on the edges (about 2 minutes per side).
- Transfer to plates and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Reduce heat slightly and add in remaining 2 tablespoon butter to the skillet.
- Add in shallots and mustard powder; stir until the shallots begin to soften (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add/mix in the whole-berry cranberry sauce, water and red wine vinegar; stir with a wooden spoon until sauce thickens (about 1 minute).
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the sauce over ham and serve.