Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is a wonderfully simple corn salad. Great for picnics or cookouts (we had this for Memorial Day this year!) It's a great way to show off all the wonderful fresh corn and basil from the Farmer's Market in the summertime!
- 5 ears sweet corn, shucked
- 1⁄2 cup minced red onion (1 small onion)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, sliced into ribbons
- Cook the ears of corn for about 5-7 minutes in a large pot of boiling salted water.
- Drain and place into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
- When corn is cooled, cut kernels off of the cob.
- Mix corn in a large bowl with red onions, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Toss in fresh basil ribbons right before serving.
- I usually taste to see if more salt and pepper is needed.
- Can be served cold or at room temperature.
My sons made this for me for my birthday dinner. It was sooooo delicious!
This salad is wonderful for any picnic or summer party. It's light and refreshing. If you are short on time use frozen corn (preferably organic) and dried basil in lieu of the fresh - it's still terrific!