Recipe by nsingle
CHEAP, DELICIOUS and SUPER EASY crock pot pulled pork recipe. Makes great sandwiches your family (including picky kids) will love. Lightly butter and grill insides of buns for even better sandwiches. (We like to use onion rolls.) Great week-day, fix in advance meal. Leftovers freeze well, too. Serve with french fries (or carrot "fries"), chunky applesauce, baked beans, potato or macaroni salad, chips -- the easy possiblilities are almost endless!
- 3 lbs pork shoulder or 5 -6 lbs boston butt
- 1 small onion, rough chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (1 ounce) packet meatloaf seasoning mix
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (OPTIONAL, If you like yours with a little "kick")
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse, tie (if desired), and pat dry roast and place in crock pot.
- Mix seasoning, onion, pepper flakes (optional), ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar and apple juice until blended.
- Pour over pork. Cover. Cook 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high (cook until tender and starts to fall apart when pulled with fork).
- Remove pork from slow cooker, discard large pieces of fat. Pour off liquid and reserve (optional-see note below).
- Pull meat apart with forks and return pot; add bottled BBQ sauce to desired consistancy. Mix and heat with sauce before serving.
- Note: If you prefer you can skim fat from reserved liquid, simmer on stove top to reduce, strain and thicken with 2 tablespoons corn starch in small amount of water to make your own tasty sauce, but this is a little more difficult and time consuming and this is supposed to be a quick and easy dinner. :-).