Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an easy to make and delicious dish!! I served it with spicy Italian sausage and a side salad and it made a wonderful meal! Homemade pie crust can be used if you have the time and talent to make one. Likewise, you can blanch, peel and cut your own tomatoes, but I prefer the recipe as listed for quick fixin'!!
- 1 unbaked pie shell (I used store bought)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained very well. (I even let them sit out on paper towels for several hours, otherwise the tart can be watery. Technic)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (I used part skim to cut down on fat and calories)
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried basil (or twice that amount of fresh if you have it)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray pie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line pan with pie crust. Using a fork, poke several holes in bottom of pie crust to prevent bubbling. Bake pie crust until golden brown, about 15 minutes. When done, cover bottom of crust with mozzarella to seal the crust and put back in oven just until melted.
- Mix all remaining ingredients, other than the tomatoes, together.
- Add tomatoes to the bottom of the crust and top with the cheese mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow tart to sit for about 15 minutes before serving so the cheese is slightly cooled and will slice easily.