Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe that the whole family loves. I wanted something easy and yummy that required very little cooking or prep time. This uses frozen chicken strips and microwave minute rice...literally all done in 20 minutes!!!
- Cook chicken and rice as directed. While they are cooking --
- Pour 1 cup of chicken broth and set aside (you will need this for the corn starch mixture). Pour the remainder of the 2 cans into a saucepan and add oyster sauce, sugar, soy sauce and pepper. Set to simmer.
- Add cornstarch to the remaining chicken broth and wisk together making sure there are no lumps. Pour into sauce mixture and wisk together. Turn heat up to med high - just until it bubbles and continue to wisk. Depending on how thick you like your sauce you may need to add more corn starch. Remember the the sauce will continue to thicken the longer it cooks and as it cools. If you want it thicker, put extra corn starch in a container and add just enough cool water to be able to mix it well (DO NOT add the corn starch directly to the sauce or it will get gross and lumpy!). Add to sauce and wisk. When sauce is desired thickness, put back on simmer.
- Cut chicken strips into bite size pieces. Serve over rice, pour on sauce and garnish with cashews.
- **you could use low sodium chicken broth and/or soy sauce -- I never have, but I'm sure it would be just as tasty!