Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Based on Cooks Illustrated's Asian-Style Braised Short Ribs. Cooks in 8-9 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high. Works well with either boneless or bone-in short ribs. Serve over white rice.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 scallions, white and green parts divided
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 20 ounces boneless short ribs or 26 ounces bone-in short ribs
- Mince scallion whites.
- Stir together water, hoisin sauce, scallion whites, and sriracha sauce in slow cooker.
- Trim large areas of fat from ribs and nestle into the slow cooker in a single layer. For bone-in ribs, put bone side down.
- Cover and cook until beef is falls apart easily when prodded with a fork. If possible, turn beef over once during cooking.
- Turn off slow cooker and pour sauce into a small bowl. Let sauce settle for 5 minutes, then skim off excess fat.
- Slice scallion greens.
- Transfer ribs to a serving dish, pour sauce over, and sprinkle with scallion greens before serving.