Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Soo easy to make and turns out wonderful on those cold winter days when you just want a warm bowl of soup and a blankie on the couch. Great with a warm soft roll.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 16 ounces smoked sausage, chopped (1 sausage ring)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 -4 potatoes, diced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans whole kernel corn
- 8 cups water
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Put olive oil in large pot ( just cover bottom of pot-it doesnt take much and the olive oil gives it a nice flavor) .
- Saute onion and green bell pepper.
- Add water , potatos, corn (juice too) and sausage. Cook until potatos are soft.
- In seperate bowl melt butter with flour to make your roux.(I do it in the microwave for about 1 minute).
- Add roux and evaporated milk and seasonings. Simmer until thickened.
This needed more seasoning.I used half the oil, butter and flour and it still came out rich and tasty. I also used frozen corn as there was no canned corn on hand, and ham, as we had to use it up. My ailing hubby had three fortifying bowls. Great tip about making roux in the microwave!
This didn't work for me. I think the 2 cans of corn added too much sweetness which threw all the flavors off balance