Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I came up with these creamy, dreamy, jam-filled, berry-licious treats because I wanted to make something NON-chocolate for Valentine's Day (crazy, I know!). Don't be frightened by the long directions; these cupcakes are quite easy to make. The batter is based on Kim D's Fresh Strawberry Cake. I hope you enjoy these as much as my BF and I did!
- 4 ounces cream cheese (light or regular)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup thawed and crushed frozen strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup seedless strawberry jam
- Mix cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar together with a hand-mixer on low speed until incorporated. Increase mixer speed to high and beat until light and fluffy (4-5 minutes) scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Lower mixer speed, add vanilla extract, then beat at high speed until fluffy. Refrigerate until somewhat stiff (can be made up to 3 days in advance).
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare 18 muffin cups.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Beat for 3 minutes, frequently scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Add the 1/3 of the dry mixture to the creamed mixture, then 1/3 of the strawberries; continue until all ingredients are mixed together.
- Beat for 2 more minutes.
- Fill each muffin cup 1/3 of the way with batter and spoon 1 tsp jam into each cup. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until tester inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- When cooled completely, frost with cream cheese frosting.