Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I love anything with potatoes! I tried to thin this recipe down a little by using low fat or fat free ingredients. It is still every bit as decadent as the full fat version. I always use Yukon Gold potatoes becasue they keep a little bite to them rathen than getting mushy.
- 5 large yukon gold potatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can 98% fat free condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded cabot 50% light cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a saucepan, combine half and half with condensed soup over medium heat and set aside.
- slice potatoes very thin.
- Spray a 9x9 glass baking dish generously with cooking spray.
- Arrange a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the dish. sprinkle with some of the onions.
- Add a layer of ech of the cheeses.
- Repaeat this process until pan is full.
- Pour condensed soup mixture over the potatoes.
- Shake the pan slightly to make sure soup gets to the bottom.
- cover with foil and bake 50 minutes.
- uncover dish and bake for another 15 minutes.
- let stand covered for 15 minutes before serving.
I say, turn the temp down to 400, maybe even 375? 450 is too high; my dish was very dark on the bottom (that part being inedible) after 40 minutes. I agree that the reduced fat cheese and ff 1/2 and 1/2 supply all the richness you need without tasting like you should have an angioplasty after dinner. Also, DO add salt and pepper and even a dash of red pepper. I prepared my dish with caramelized shallots because I didn't have a white onion, and I think doing so made the dish just a little more "gourmet."