Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe just sort of evolved over a period of months and lots of different ideas. This is what I have now, and I don't know how It could really get much better. If you want it as a meal in itself, just add lentils and mushrooms. I'll just write the simpler version here.
- Pour almonds or pistachios into a large bowl. Sprinkle on spices. I usually add more cumin than anything, followed by cardamom, and just a little ginger. Sprinkle salt in also (this is the only thing getting salt, so put enough for the whole batch of rice also). Pour about 4 T of olive oil on top and stir so all the nuts are covered. You can do this in advance if you'd like so the flavors have time to combine.
- In a large pot with a tight fitting lid, bring 8 cups of water to a boil.
- Pour all 2 cups of rice into a fine strainer and wash it for 30 seconds with warm water.
- Pour rice into boiling water and stir once (the only time you will stir).
- Let it boil for 30 minutes uncovered.
- After 30 minutes pour it back into the strainer, but only for maybe 10 seconds because it still needs some moisture for the next step.
- Pour rice back into pot, put the lid on it, and put it on the turned off burner.
- Let it steam for 10 minutes.
- While you wait, cut up the onion. Heat up another pan and add the onions, garlic, and the nut and spice mixture.
- Saute on medium high heat until the onions are transparent and the nuts are starting to turn brown in places.
- Add to the finished rice.
- If you want to make this an entire meal, cook 1/2 cup each lentils and mushrooms, season the mushrooms the same as the nuts and add into the rice.