Prep 6 hrs
Cook 1 hr
These are lenthil and chickpea rounds which are crisp, can be had as a snack.
- 2 cups bengal gram dal
- 1 cup kabuli channa
- 3 green chilies
- 1 inch gingerroot
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chutney, gram
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Soak the bengal gram and channa separately.
- for 5-6 hours.
- Drain the water completely and pulse the bengal gram in a blender along with garlic,ginger,aniseed,green chilli to a coarse paste. Remove into a bowl.
- Now pulse the drained channa coarsely , add to the bowl.
- Slice the onion thinly.
- Now mix in salt,turmeric,sliced onions and curry leaves.
- Powder the chutney gram and add to the vada mix.
- Heat 5 cups of oil in a kadai over medium heat. Once the oil is hot,wet your right hand, make small ping pong sized balls from the vada mix ,transfer to left palm [lightly wet],lightly flatten the balls it should not crack or break, now slowly slide these flattened vadas into the hot oil. Make 5-6 vadas in a batch and deep fry them till they are golden brown on both sides.
- THE important rule is,For the vadas to be crispy,they are to be deep fried over medium heat.Also there is to be no water in the vada mixture.Also the more time allowed for the bengal gram and channa to soak, the crispy the vada will be.Maximum time for soaking will be 10 hours.
- The hot vadas can be had with tea or can taken with tomato ketchup or coconut chutney.