Recipe by MSR
Once you get the hang of chopping up a pumpkin (or the skill of using the can opener) this recipe is just super easy. The prep time is mostly just chopping the silly thing up, so don't let the time scare you. You literally just chop, boil, stir in. Came up with this on a cold, English night when I just wanted come creamy comfort food. Good luck, and let me know what you think.
Top Review by Gordon Ramsey fan
Fantastic and easy to make , we sometimes make a double batch and freeze half.Only thing we changed was to leave out the garlic and to add a shallot when the onion goes in. Great recipe!
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb fresh pumpkin (fresh preferably, seeds out, skin off)
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 red pepper
- 2 carrots
- 1 large red onion
- 1 red chile, deseeded (if you want some kick) (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped or 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces creamed coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Set broth boiling, chop skinned pumpkin into pieces, toss into broth.
- Skin carrots, chop, toss inches.
- Follow with red pepper, onion, and chili.
- Boil until very soft (usually about half an hour).
- If veg is still floating, drain off some broth (you can't drain too much as you can always add back, but can't take more out if it's not thick enough :).
- Either use hand blender or upright, blend til smooth.
- Add cream, butter, coconut, and garlic.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Eat then, simmer for a while, or freeze. It all works with this one.