Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a no bake, one pot recipe that my kids think is the best! For a special surprise, add a 15 ounce can of well drained regular diced, or my favorite, fire roasted tomatoes at the very end. You can broil this for a few minutes if you like the browned cheese look. Will lose it's creaminess if left to sit or is reheated, but still tastes great.
- Boil macaroni until tender.
- Tear provolone in pieces and set aside.
- Mix flour, salt, mustard, and pepper and set aside.
- Once macaroni is in colander, melt butter in pot.
- Add flour mix and cook for a minute or so.
- Add milk and bring to a boil.
- Add cheeses and stir until smooth.
- Add macaroni back into the pot and stir. Serve immediately.
I really prefer baked mac n' cheese, with a crust of bubbly cheese, but this one is really delicious and certainly faster, for those nights you are pressed for time. This is REALLY creamy and I liked the flavor the smoke provolone gives it. Made for Fall 2012 PAC game.
This was my first time making homemade mac & cheese. I must confess, the boxed stuff is faster (not by much) but does not have the quality of homemade. The smoked cheese adds another depth of flavor. When I make this again, I'll top it with buttered bread crumbs and toast the top in the oven. Made for PAC Spring 2012