Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I made macaroni and cheese for the first time and it came out incredible! My in-laws were over for dinner and it was devoured; definitely a hit!
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) box medium pasta shells
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 2 cups light cream
- 2 cups milk (I used fat free since that's all I had)
- In a big pot, melt the stick of butter.
- Slowly whisk in the flour until the mixture is combined and smooth.
- Continue to whisk and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in salt, pepper and minced garlic - whisk until incorporated.
- Gradually whisk in light cream and milk.
- Continue to whisk and cook for another 8-10 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Add in the sharp cheddar cheese, stir until combined.
- Add in extra sharp cheddar cheese, stir until combined.
- Add in velveeta, stir until combined.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix together the cheese sauce with the already cooked pasta (boil water, takes about 10-12 minutes).
- Transfer to a 13x9 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with shaved parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes.
Very good recipe for creamy mac n' cheese! I made this Christmas Eve 2011 as one of my side dishes and everyone loved it. I forgot to review it then but I made notes on the recipe and I wrote: "very good!!" Also I used penne pasta instead of elbow as the penne filled up with all that creaminess! Thanks for sharing.