Recipe by pies & cakes & cookies ohmy!
I got this recipe from an old library book I found at a garage sale. It's a bit different from most other marshmallow recipes I've seen. Kids LOVE these.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 (7 ounce) package sweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let it soften about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place coconut into a food processor with the cocoa powder and pulse to chop finely.
- Heat gelatin mixture over low heat, stirring, just until gelatin is dissolved. Stir in corn syrup and transfer to a large bowl. Chill till thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Grease a 9x9 square pan. Spread 2/3 cup of coconut/cocoa mixture in evenly into prepared pan.
- Add egg white and vanilla to gelatin mixture. Beat at high speed with a whip attachment until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Pour over coconut and sprinkle immediately with another 2/3 cup of coconut. Set remaining coconut mixture aside.
- Chill marshmallows till set, about 2 hours. Cut into squares and roll in remaining coconut till they are coated on all sides.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.