Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Stacy's Pita Chips "Chip Chat" e-newsletter. Untried by me, so far, but posting for safe keeping. Serving size is estimated.
- 3 ounces chicken sausage (maple flavor preferred)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 chopped jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄4 cups fruity red wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup red onions (optional) or 1⁄4 cup green onion (optional)
- In a large pot, combine crumbled chicken sausage with onion, bell pepper, garlic, and sirloin.
- Cook over medium-high heat until sausage and sirloin are browned.
- Add in chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, tomato paste, dried oregano, ground pepper, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt and bay leaves.
- Stir in wine, tomatoes and kidney beans then bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with red or green onion and cheddar cheese. Serve with Simply Naked Pita Chips.