Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is super cheesy and creamy. I started with the basic mac and cheese recipe from the back of the box and have over the years tweaked on it til it is just super!
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni, cooked
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) bag sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 slices American cheese
- melt margarine.
- add flour and cook until pasty.
- add dry mustard.
- add milk and whisk til combined.
- add velveeta and stir til melted.
- Add 3/4 of bag of cheese and stir til melted.
- add 2 slice of cheese and stir til melted.
- Combine sauce with warm macaroni that has been drained but not rinsed.
- Pour into casserole dish and let set for 5 minutes until macaroni absorbs cheese sauce and thickens.
- Top with remaining1/4 bag of cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes til cheese bubbles.
- Let set for 5 minutes before serving.
This was very good macaroni and cheese. So nice and cheesy. Thanks for posting this recipe.
I made this for Christmas dinner. I loved the creaminess of it however, it was too much Velveeta cheese for me. It overpowered the rest of the cheese's. I'm not a big fan of Velveeta anyway so it's just a personal preference. I will absolutely make this again only I'll cut the Velveeta in half and make up for it with more shredded cheddar and american. It was very easy to make and can't wait to make it again. Thanks for sharing earlybird.
This is some of "the best" tasting macaroni and cheese I've ever had. By adding one fourth of the shredded cheese ontop of this dish, it made it a bit crispy ontop, and boy did that taste good. I made this dish as is, except I used Half-&-Half instead of milk, and this still tasted great. This is one dish I will enjoy making again, but I will need to cut the recipe in half, as it does make a lot for just my hubby and me. Thank you earlybird for this wonderful recipe, it was quite delish!!