Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Serve with oven fries
Top Review by DJoy
I really liked this - the family love meatloaf in any form it seems and they scoffed it down without a comment! Obviously it was good. I enjoyed the mustard and relish and really liked the oats rather than the usual breadcrumbs... I doubled the recipe to feed 4 (ravenous) teenage boys & 2 adults.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet white onion
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- lettuce leaf
- 3 slices onions, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a big bowl, combine the ground beef, chopped onion, oats, milk, egg, cheddar cheese, ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, pickle relish, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly oiled 9 x 5 inch loaf pan; gently pat down.
- Arrange the onion slices on top, keeping them intact.
- Bake about 1 hour, until the loaf is firm and the onions are lightly browned.
- Let stand in pan 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Remove the loaf from the pan and slice.
- Line a platter with the lettuce leaves; arrange meatloaf on top; serve with additional ketchup, mustard, and pickles.