Recipe by Chef Desrochers
This was an experiment with making our own pizza dough. You can also use frozen dough. We made it pretty big and ate off it for a while, but this recipe make enough for individual Calzones for your preference. Stuff with whatever you wish, can even make own pizza for sauce. Saves well in fridge and makes great left overs, especially for a quick lunch.
Top Review by CindiJ
Made this PAC 2012 with good results. My guys aren't a big fan of feta cheese but I tried it in one of the calzone. The one without was preferred. The dough worked up great and was slightly sweeter than what we are used to. This made for a really great lunch for the guys and DH asked if he could take the leftovers in his lunch for work. Thanks for posting!
For Pizza Dough
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 cups flour
- 1 cup pizza sauce or 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) package pepperoni
- 1⁄2 lb salami
- 1⁄2 lb ham
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- butter, Italian season and Parmesan Cheese for top (melted)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make dough:.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand for 10 minute then stir well.
- Stir in remaining ingredients adding enough flour for a stiff dough.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead about 5 minute until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in large greased bowl. Cover with towel or plastic wrap.
- Let rise in warm place for 1 1/2 hours until doubled in size.
- Divide in half to make individual Calzones.
- Roll out dough on floured surface in about 10" circles.
- Spread on sauce on half of circle.
- Add meat and cheese, whatever fillings you wish.
- Fold other half of dough over, in the shape of a half moon, leaving enough to crimp ends.
- With fingers or fork, crimp closed.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- In preheated oven, Bake at 350 for about 15 to 20 minute or until bread begins to bake.
- Remove from oven, cut 2-3 diagonal slits to top to allow middle to cook.
- Brush on melted butter, dash of Italian seasoning or Oregano and Parmesan Cheese.
- Continue to bake until golden brown.