Recipe by peachy_pie
This is a favourite around this house because it is so cheap to make and freezes well. I like to pack this as part of my boyfriend's lunches, along with things like chicken drumsticks, fruit, and corn fritters. Note: there are weeks when we can't afford cheese. Never fear, just leave it out! You should add a little more seasoning in this case, and perhaps a pinch of dried herbs over the top to lend it more character.
- 500 g macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheese
- 1 -2 cup fresh breadcrumb (reserve the ends of bread if your family doesn't eat them, or keep stale bits ready to whizz in the)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta; drain; set aside.
- Warm milk in saucepan. When it is just warm to the touch, whisk in half the flour. Let the milk begin to simmer, whisking all the time. You be the judge of the thickness - we like it really thick. If you want it thicker, add the remaining flour and continue to whisk until smooth and thick. Stir through the cheese and the salt and pepper until the cheese is melted. Take off the heat.
- Pour into a baking dish and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top. Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees Celcius.