Recipe by JackieOhNo!
This is an oldie but goodie that I used to serve on Super Bowl Sunday during the 80's! Although, in order to post this, I had to be specific with ingredient amounts, it really is up to your personal taste and is more a template to follow to create your ideal wedge.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
This is one delicious sandwich and the sky is the limit as far as ingredients go. I used spicy ham, salami, pepperoni, provolone cheese, roasted peppers, red onion, and I added a bit of olive tapenade along with the oregano. I missed getting to make this sandwich for the Super Bowl, but its great any time of the year. Made for the For Your Consideration tag game.
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb cold cuts (your choice)
- 1⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese or 1⁄4 lb provolone cheese
- 1 whole roasted red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thinly in rings
- 1 teaspoon oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice a long loaf of Italian bread horizontally. Cut sides of the bread are sprinkled very lightly with good olive oil.
- Then begin layering the deli foods of your choice: ham, Genoa salami, pepperoni for slicing, mozzarella cheese, roasted peppers, red onion rings, sprinkling every other layer with olive oil and oregano.
- When layering is complete, the loaf is wrapped tightly in heavy-duty aluminum foil. (This much can be done ahead of time.).
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until hot, about 30 minutes. Slice into individual servings and enjoy!