Recipe by twissis
I'm beginning to think I might need to get a life away from RZ. I had some idle time & decided to Google the net to see what was being suggested as food fare for Super Bowl Day. I found the most intriguing recipe I have seen in some time. This is it & my source is http://home.ivillage.com & Martha Vining was acknowledged. The intro said "Adults love these cupcakes. So make more than you need for 1 event & freeze the rest. Stored in an airtight bag, they should keep up to 2 months." DH & I are NY resolved to limit our sweet treats, so I hope you will be as intrigued as I was, give this recipe a try & enjoy the outcome. (Time does not include time for cupcakes to cool)
Top Review by Debbb
This a really different take on chocolate cake! A nice change. Cupcakes were a little dry but the wine did add an element of flavour, as did the cinnamon. Since I couldn't find dried cherries, I served at Sewing Circle spread with a tsp or so of seedless raspberry jam & a dollop of Cool Whip.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cabernet sauvignon wine
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries (chopped)
- 2 cups whipped cream (lightly sweetened)
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (as garnish) (optional) or 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (as garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F & prepare muffin pans w/paper baking cups.
- Into the lrg bowl of an electric mixer, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon & cocoa powder.
- Add oil, vanilla, eggs & wine.
- Beat w/the electric mixer at low speed for 30 seconds. Turn the mixer speed to high & cont beating for 3 min, scraping the sides occ.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer & stir in the dried cherries. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pans & bake for 20 min or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- To Serve: Spoon a dollop of whipped cream on the center of the completely cooled cupcakes. Add 5-6 bits of dried fruit & a dusting of cinnamon or cocoa powder.
- NOTE: IMHO dried cranberries may well be a good sub for the dried cherries.