Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Make your mouth and friends happy! Great group food, easy and fast to make. Highly configurable.
- 10 ounces tortilla chips (about 3/4 of a 13.5 oz bag Flat chips work best, similar to Tostitos Crispy Rounds.)
- 10 -16 ounces cooked chicken (A 10 oz Perdue or Tyson pre-cooked chicken strips in a box save time.)
- 1 (2 ounce) canof sliced black olives
- sliced jalapeno pepper, to taste
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (8 ounce) bag taco cheese, blend (monterey jack and cheddar) or 1 (8 ounce) bag Mexican blend cheese (monterey jack and cheddar)
- nonstick cooking spray
- habanero sauce, to taste
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces salsa
- Hand shred chicken into a saucepan, making each piece small enough to fit on a tortilla chip.
- Add to saucepan taco seasoning mix, adding the prescribed amount of water on the taco seasoning packet.
- Heat chicken over a medium-low fire to make seasoning mingle with chicken.
- If desired, add hot sauce to chicken mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put rack at highest level in oven.
- While chicken is cooking in taco seasoning, line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spray foil lightly but evenly with non-stick spray.
- Line the cookie sheet with a layer of tortilla chips.
- Overlap chips if necessary.
- Sprinkle half of cheese over chips, coating evenly.
- Remove chicken from heat.
- Use a spoon to distribute chicken evenly over tortilla chips/cheese layer, making sure that some chicken is on each chip.
- If desired, drizzle any remaining taco seasoning sauce evenly over chips and chicken.
- Remember that more sauce makes the chips soggy, but some sauce may be desirable.
- If desired, place black olive and jalapeno pepper slices on each chip.
- Evenly sprinkle remainder of cheese over entire cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven on top rack for 10 minutes.
- At the end of 10 minutes, switch oven to"broil.
- "Broil nachos for 2 minutes using an electric oven, 1 minute using a gas oven.
- Watch nachos carefully so that they do not burn!
- Serve the sour cream and salsa in separate side dishes.
- Alternative directions#1: Spoon salsa evenly over cookie sheet just prior to placing nachos in oven.
- Alternative directions#2: Substitute browned ground beef for cooked chicken.
My boys enjoyed these as an appetizer. I used canned chicken so this was easy to put together.
Easy and delish! I used homemade tortilla chips and cooked up my own chicken. Very yummy and a keeper for sure - thanks for sharing!
Not bad - I used a 12 oz can of chicken. Easy and quick snack.