Recipe by Crazycook in PA
I found this recipe on another site and fixed it and absolutely loved it. This rich, spicy chili has a kick to it though. I don't add quite as much brown sugar as it calls for.
Top Review by SandySparkles
I made this delicious chili last evening for our Halloween dinner. It was a hit! I made a few modifications according to our tastes. Less beans and sugar were used than were required by the recipe and it was still awesome!!! Thank you for this crowd pleaser.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) dark beer
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 4 fresh hot chili peppers, seeded and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, ground beef and cubed sirloin in oil for 10 minutes, or until the meat is well browned and the onions are tender.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes with juice, dark beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. Season with brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, coriander and salt.
- Stir in 2 cans of the beans and hot chile peppers. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the 2 remaining cans of beans, and simmer for another 30 minutes.