Recipe by Chill
This is from the Parade flyer in Sunday's newspaper. I made it and was pleased with all the flavors, and it came together rather quickly.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 lbs ground chuck (hamburger)
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black pepper
- 3 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans pitted black olives, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in very large pot. Brown hamburger and sausage along with the onions. Drain fat.
- Stir in tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chili powder, mustard, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, wine, lemon juice, dill, parsley and beans. Stir well and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Add olives; simmer for 5 more minutes to heat through.