Prep 8 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Like wings and like big stuffed sandwiches that are great foods for a superbowl party … Well this is the best of both worlds. Great buffalo wing taste, celery and carrots for a crunch, a wonderful blue cheese sauce all in a nice thick crunchy sandwich. Please feel free to use your own wing sauce and homemade blue cheese but a store bought sauce for both will work just fine for this. The chicken and vegetables can be made ahead so all it takes is a few minutes to put it together, and bake for 20 minutes either on the grill or in the oven. Slice and serve with all your other favorite party foods. The ultimate Buffalo Wing Sandwich. This is perfect for a party cuz you can make it all ahead and just put it together and grill. BBQ, Superbowl party, or a football night dinner with friends. Add a good salad, some fries or onion rings or a potato salad and you got dinner. I promise you will love it. FYI, if you don't like provolone, you can use mozzarella if you prefer.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups blue cheese dressing
- 10 slices provolone cheese (right from your grocery deli, feel free to use shredded mozarella if you prefer or your favorite che)
- 3 carrots, large (thin sliced on a angle)
- 3 celery ribs (thin sliced on a angle)
- 1 onion (medium, cut in half and then thin sliced)
- 3⁄4 cup italian dressing to marinade vegetables
- 2 1⁄2 cups buffalo wing sauce
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Marinade -- the chicken all day or even over night. In a large baggie add 1 cup of wing sauce and the chicken. Seal and shake and mix well to coat.
- Vegetables -- 3-4 hours before making the sandwich, marinate the vegetables. Add the sliced onions, carrots and celery in the Italian vinaigrette in a baggie. Just toss in the refrigerator.
- Chicken -- Once again, you can grill the chicken ahead of time to make dinner a quick fix. Grill outside or inside grill pan is fine for this. Salt and pepper the chicken and grill until done. It should take about 10-12 minutes. Don't cut the chicken until you are ready to put the sandwiches together. Just let cool and wrap in foil and refrigerate until ready to assemble the sandwich.
- Sandwich -- Cut lengthwise and hollow out both the top and bottom just a bit to make room for the filling. Then place under the broiler for just 30 seconds. Just browning the inside will help keep the sandwich from getting soggy. Bring the chicken to room temp and cut thin slices on a angle. Spread the blue cheese on both the top and bottom of the bread, then to the bottom slice of bread, add 1/2 of the chicken, 1/2 cup of wing sauce, the marinated vegetable (drained), 1/2 of the provolone cheese, the remaining chicken and 1/2 cup wing sauce and the other 1/2 of the cheese. Finish with the top bread.
- Sauce and Bake -- Melt the butter and add the remaining 1/2 cup sauce just in the microwave and then brush on the bread, top and bottom. Now wrap in foil and either grill inside or outside. Inside oven should be 375. I like to weigh my down just a bit as it grills or bakes, Just a cast iron or any heavy pan will work just fine. Cook for 10 minutes and then flip and cook another 5-7 minutes. Remove and let set a minute and then slice up. It will serve 8-10 very hungry people.
These were great. Very yummy and filling. I will definatley be making again. Thanks for a great sandwich recipe.