Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
I just kinda whipped this up in the kitchen the other day - really simple and nice and local/lowfat!
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (12 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 onion
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 cup salsa
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- When done, allow to sit and begin sauteeing the onion and pepper in some garlic and cooking spray.
- I used PAM, but if you want to go with butter, go right ahead!
- Cook the onion and pepper until done, add the black beans, corn and salsa, cook for about 2 minutes or so.
- Add the cumin for flavoring (salt and pepper to your liking, as well!) and cook for 1 minute.
- Finally, add the cooked rice and stir everything together.
- I eat this on tortillas, by itself, on salads, on crackers-- possibilities are endless!
- If bland, add some more cumin or salsa when you eat.
This was great! The only changes I made was that I fried my rice first the way my SIL taught me to do and I didn't add corn just because I'm out. I also added a 1/2 can of tomatoes and didn't add green pepper just because we don't like it. This was so easy and so tasty and will make a great side to my chicken enchilada pie that I made at the same time. Thanks!
I had some leftover rice from the night before so I used that. I cooked the onion for a bit and then added the drained and rinsed black beans. I added the cumin and garlic powerder right after because the spices taste better if you let them cook. I had to add a cup of water so that the spices could cook all the way. When the water had simmered away the beans were done. I put the beans on top of the rice and then added the salsa on the top of that with some sour cream on the side. We had this for lunch with some quesadillas made with cheese, tomato and green onions. I like to mix the black beans, rice, salsa, and sour cream and use this as a dip for my quesadillas. Not exatly healthy but sooo good!
This was really easy to put together. I did use brown rice instead of white, and frozen veggies instead of canned. All in all a healthy and tasty meal. Not very much zip, and a little more rice then I wanted. Next time I'll cut the rice down a smidge and add more salsa. Thanks!