1/1 Photo of Super Basil Pesto (Healthy Version)
Using less oil makes this recipe a little easier on the waist line, but doesn't skimp out on big taste and comes with a twist. I created this using several recipes I had seen online. Beware this is garlicky for those who don't like garlic. Cooking Time= Combining Ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml fresh basil, lightly packed (the super part is to use more than one variety of basil, I used 3, Pesto Basil, Red Opal Basil and C)
- 59.14 ml pine nuts, toasted (or if you want be even healthier Walnuts)
- 2-4 garlic cloves, depending on size and how much you like garlic (or more, I used like 5 pretty small gloves in mine)
- 44.37 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 29.58 ml water (Or Broth, I use veggie broth for mine)
- 59.14 ml parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 0.25-0.5 ml crushed red pepper flakes (my little twist)
- 1Put all ingredients, but the pepper flakes in the food processor.
- 2Pulse and blend.
- 3Blend until everything has been mixed, the pesto should be thick (to the point of being spreadable) and not runny. Trust me you want it this way, it coats the noodles way better.
- 4Put the pesto into a bowl and mix in the pepper flakes.
- 5You are now ready to mix it into your pasta or put it on your pizza.
- 6Note: The pesto by itself is a bit salty, but don't worry once on your pasta or pizza it is just right.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Basil Pesto (Healthy Version)
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.8
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 377.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g